Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast and easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but very flexible because they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately got ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, pointers, and also tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to use gas and also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually spark some joy for you and make pizza night extra exciting!
Likewise, this is a durable, quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. Finding that gas storage tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane container, and after that as soon as we discovered one we needed to discover a area to get it loaded. Thankfully, our local hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel much, yet I called a TON of places before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may assume! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins.
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the great area which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and also a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. With that said said, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried concerning the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat ideal and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He recommends using your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very slim in the center. This will certainly give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick between it will not cook right through.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So keep it simple and top lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident however hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to continue to define just how delicious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply try to find another thing comparable online. But let me save you some time and energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth. It was also quite basic to create – or at least I didn’t hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt picks it, but apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not use up too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly aid it last much longer. If you do not have any type of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just link the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely doable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. Because I believe that making and cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a hassle, the real prepping and also cooking to be a bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise really lightweight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.