Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a quick and easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but very versatile because they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally got ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my methods, ideas, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as additionally desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually trigger some delight for you and also make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a well-made, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not certain why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane storage tank, and also after that once we located one we had to find a location to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a couple mins.
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing spot which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. With that said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warm ideal and keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to master it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and topping. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a hard cooking process. I might NOT have been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t include as well lots of toppings to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely burned immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical however confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as super crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. If we should purchase it or just attempt to discover something else similar online, I had not been certain. Yet let me save you a long time and also power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally pretty easy to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vow excessive while he was putting it with each other and I believe it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s super handy in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt picks it, however besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not take up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered room to store it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) yet I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a headache, the actual prepping as well as preparing to be a bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also extremely light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.