Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a simple and also quick way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but super flexible considering that they can reach such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, tips, and also methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas and also desired a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area might really stimulate some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night more exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas storage tank as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and then as soon as we located one we needed to find a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! It was definitely much easier than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high and let it heat up for 20 mins when you attach the lp tank. After that lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My companion and I were both happily stunned at exactly how simple the Ooni is to utilize and also exactly how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome area which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as also a good distance between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that claimed, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious concerning the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the heat just right as well as keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking process. I can NOT have actually been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim in the center. This will give you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook right with.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it leading as well as basic gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant but hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we ought to acquire it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright best dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty basic to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion promise too much while he was putting it together and I think it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, yet aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply connect the lp as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I assume that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a hassle, the real cooking and prepping to be a little bit taxing, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s additionally very light-weight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.