Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy as well as quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however very flexible since they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, ideas, and also techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation device that is going to last for several years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. Locating that lp container and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a gas container, and then when we found one we had to find a place to get it filled. Thankfully, our regional hardware store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! It was most definitely easier than I anticipated it to be. Once you connect the lp container, you just transform it approximately high as well as let it heat up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly amazed at how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the great place which offers you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as also a great range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said turning the heat to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be much easier. With that said claimed, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm just right as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it top as well as basic gently. This is not the time to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful however enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we should buy it or just try to find something else similar online. Yet let me conserve you some time and power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise rather basic to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion promise too much while he was putting it together and I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
One point that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dust settles on it, but other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will assist it last longer. If you do not have any type of covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just attach the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I think that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal even more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.