Napoli Pizza Oven Vs Ooni Koda
Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy and fast way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but super flexible because they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately obtained ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a durable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a gas container, and also after that as soon as we found one we had to discover a place to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may believe! It was definitely simpler than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high and let it heat up for 20 mins when you link the lp tank. After that reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both happily shocked at exactly how simple the Ooni is to utilize and how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy area which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to reduced and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temp might be simpler. With that said stated, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat just right as well as keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it top as well as simple lightly. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced but enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to continue to describe how delicious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s economical and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we should get it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was also pretty straightforward to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner promise excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I think it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
Something that truly attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no need to disinfect the inside or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt decides on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the propane and also let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I think that making and preparing food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the real preparing and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process involved. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite very easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also really lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.