Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a very easy and fast method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however super functional considering that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, as well as ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location may really spark some happiness for you and make pizza night more exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not certain why, however below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, and also after that when we discovered one we had to find a place to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome spot which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good distance in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to cooking and reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be simpler. With that claimed, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit nervous regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm ideal as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very thin between. This will certainly give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is too thick in the center it won’t prepare all the way through.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it easy and top gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You desire your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely burned immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced but enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as super crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. If we must purchase it or just try to find something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Yet let me save you time as well as power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute excellent size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was also rather easy to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner vow way too much while he was placing it together and also I assume it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable as well as rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely practical in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
Something that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt picks it, yet apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a lot of work to get the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply link the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a headache, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process entailed. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.