Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a fast and also easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however extremely flexible given that they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly obtained ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my suggestions, methods, as well as thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as also desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might truly trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more interesting!
This is a durable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank and having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas container, and then once we located one we needed to discover a place to get it filled. Thankfully, our local hardware store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, yet I called a TON of places before I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a couple mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to cooking and reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be less complicated. With that stated, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous about the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the heat ideal as well as keep it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. I can NOT have been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel as well. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re really comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely slim between. This will provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare right with.
- Don’t include also several garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet doubtful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we must buy it or simply try to find something else comparable online. However let me conserve you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally quite straightforward to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vouch excessive while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust settles on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just connect the propane as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that making and preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
It’s also extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.