Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a easy and fast way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours just a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my techniques, thoughts, and suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specifications you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas as well as also wanted a bigger size so that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza night more amazing!
Likewise, this is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas container and also having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a lp storage tank, and afterwards once we discovered one we had to locate a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of places before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which offers you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. Keeping that said, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried regarding the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat ideal and maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also covering. However truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I really lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms till it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare all the method with.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it straightforward and also leading gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical but confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as super crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we should purchase it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t use up way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the lp as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the actual prepping as well as preparing to be a little bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise very lightweight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage room to keep it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.