Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a easy and also fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet super flexible given that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours simply a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, tricks, as well as tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and likewise desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may really trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night a lot more interesting!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. I’m not sure why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas storage tank, and then once we found one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! It was most definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you link the propane storage tank, you simply transform it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner and also I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how simple the Ooni is to use and also exactly how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the great spot which gives you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to reduced and cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp could be simpler. With that said stated, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth just right and also keep it relocating. However, I was happily surprised to find that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one pound round of dough in 2, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert, I really lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very thin in the middle. This will provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t cook all the means with.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it simple as well as leading lightly. This is not the time to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical however enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to continue to explain just how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we must buy it or just search for something else comparable online. However let me save you a long time as well as energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the absolute excellent size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was additionally pretty easy to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner vouch too much while he was putting it together as well as I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One thing that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dust picks it, however aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. You just link the gas as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s likewise really lightweight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.