Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick and easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet extremely functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, suggestions, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually spark some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. Finding that lp container and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards when we located one we had to locate a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of areas before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! It was most definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 mins once you link the gas tank. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly shocked at exactly how simple the Ooni is to use as well as how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to move the pizza around and also a excellent range between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. With that said said, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit worried about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat perfect as well as keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to master it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel also. This will make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it straightforward as well as leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant yet confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to continue to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s affordable as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. If we need to buy it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online, I had not been certain. However let me conserve you time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth. It was additionally quite simple to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner promise excessive while he was placing it together as well as I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dust picks it, yet other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I assume that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally really lightweight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.