Modupe Ozolua And Ooni Of Ife
Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and it’s not hard to see why! They supply a easy and quick way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet extremely flexible since they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, techniques, as well as suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might really stimulate some delight for you and make pizza evening much more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas tank, and then once we discovered one we had to locate a place to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and let it warm up for 20 minutes when you attach the propane storage tank. After that reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both happily amazed at how easy the Ooni is to use and how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the trendy place which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to move the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to cooking as well as reduced it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature could be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warm perfect and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. I might NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually prevailed since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He advises using your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook completely through.
- Do not add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it straightforward and also top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful yet cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to define just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we should acquire it or just attempt to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise rather straightforward to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vow too much while he was putting it together and I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
>> Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
Something that really lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust picks it, but apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not use up way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of covered area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the gas as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I think that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also really light-weight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.