Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick and easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however incredibly functional because they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly obtained ours just a few months back. I know you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my pointers, tricks, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
Also, this is a reliable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards when we located one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel far, yet I called a TON of places prior to I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing place which offers you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature might be easier. With that said claimed, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to get the warm ideal as well as keep it moving. However, I was happily stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to master it!
I assume we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation process. I can NOT have been much more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I truly lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms till it gets huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the method with.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it basic as well as top lightly. This is not the time to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely shed immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful but doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we should acquire it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior periodically as dust decides on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not use up too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly assist it last much longer. If you do not have any type of covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely achievable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I believe that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s also very lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.