Max Moose Oonies
Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast and easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but extremely functional because they can get to such a heat and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours simply a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my pointers, methods, and also thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and also desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really trigger some happiness for you and also make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. Finding that propane tank and also having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and then once we found one we had to discover a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip much, however I called a TON of places prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome area which gives you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking and low it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. With that said, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat just right as well as keep it relocating. I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. Using the pizza oven is very simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will certainly provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it basic and also top gently. This is not the time to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely melted immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant yet enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to define how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we must buy it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. But let me conserve you a long time and also power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was likewise pretty basic to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vouch way too much while he was putting it together as well as I assume it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One thing that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dirt decides on it, however apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience because I think that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a problem, the real prepping and also preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process required. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise really lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.