Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a quick as well as very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet extremely functional considering that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally obtained ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, methods, and thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might really trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, top quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a propane container, as well as after that when we found one we had to discover a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! It was definitely easier than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as let it heat up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the propane container. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner and also I were both happily shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the amazing area which offers you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature could be simpler. With that said said, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat just right and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will certainly provide you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add also many toppings to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced yet confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we ought to get it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online, I had not been sure. But let me save you a long time and also power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty simple to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner swear too much while he was putting it together and also I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One thing that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dust picks it, but other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a lot of job to get the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience because I believe that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping and also cooking to be a bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also extremely lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a bit of storage area to maintain it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.