Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy and also quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however incredibly flexible since they can reach such a heat and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, as well as tips – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as also desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may really spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening more interesting!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp tank and also having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and afterwards when we located one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, but I called a TON of places before I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! It was most definitely simpler than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 mins when you attach the propane tank. Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily shocked at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the cool area which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be much easier. With that stated, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous regarding the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warmth perfect and keep it moving. I was happily shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the means with.
- Do not include a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it top and basic gently. This is not the moment to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant but confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and also super crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we must get it or simply try to find something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. But let me save you time as well as energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also pretty simple to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner swear excessive while he was placing it with each other and I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One point that truly attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, yet besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will certainly assist it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. You simply link the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. Since I think that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a problem, the real prepping and cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I had not been certain what the cleansing process entailed. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also very lightweight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.