Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They use a easy and also fast method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet super versatile considering that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my pointers, methods, as well as thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may really stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza evening much more exciting!
Likewise, this is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane container as well as having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and afterwards as soon as we found one we needed to locate a place to get it filled up. The good news is, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations before I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome area which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a great range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and reduced it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature could be easier. Keeping that stated, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warm ideal as well as keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to master it!
I believe we obtain a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. I can NOT have been much more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the center. This will offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the method through.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it straightforward and leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced yet confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You get those completely charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as super crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to remain to describe how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, yet often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
One point that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt chooses it, yet besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the lp and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I assume that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise really lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.