Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not hard to see why! They supply a very easy and also fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however extremely functional since they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, tips, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas and additionally desired a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually trigger some delight for you and make pizza evening more interesting!
Also, this is a durable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. Finding that propane tank and also having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp tank, and afterwards as soon as we found one we needed to find a location to get it filled. Luckily, our regional hardware shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! It was absolutely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes once you connect the gas container. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly shocked at how simple the Ooni is to utilize as well as how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the amazing place which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to low and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. Keeping that said, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the heat ideal as well as keep it moving. I was happily stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I truly lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely slim in the center. This will give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook right via.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it straightforward and leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to describe how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s economical and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we must buy it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One point that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust picks it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not take up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly help it last longer. If you don’t have any protected space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the gas and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I believe that cooking and making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a headache, the actual prepping and also cooking to be a bit taxing, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.