Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick as well as easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but very versatile considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my methods, thoughts, and tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and likewise wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside location might really trigger some delight for you and also make pizza night more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, and also then as soon as we discovered one we had to find a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing spot which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. With that said, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious concerning the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warmth perfect and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. I can NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it leading as well as easy lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful but unconvinced that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within and also super crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s affordable as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we ought to get it or just attempt to find something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Let me save you some time and energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth. It was also quite basic to create – or at least I didn’t hear my partner vouch excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I think it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly handy in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no need to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dirt decides on it, but aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t use up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will help it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of work to get the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the propane as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the real prepping as well as preparing to be a bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite very easy. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.