Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a very easy and quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however extremely versatile considering that they can reach such a heat and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, pointers, and methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might really spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a durable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that lp tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and afterwards once we located one we had to locate a area to get it loaded. Fortunately, our local hardware shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel far, however I called a TON of locations prior to I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome area which gives you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent distance between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be simpler. With that said stated, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat just right and also keep it moving. I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. I could NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the way with.
- Don’t include as well many toppings to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic but cynical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s affordable and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we must buy it or simply look for another thing similar online. Yet let me conserve you some time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was also quite straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it together and I believe it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
Something that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside periodically as dust chooses it, but aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely achievable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. Because I assume that making and also preparing food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a inconvenience, the real prepping and also preparing to be a bit taxing, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process required. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.