Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a fast as well as very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely functional given that they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, thoughts, and also techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as likewise desired a bigger size so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza night more interesting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container. Locating that propane container and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, and after that once we located one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. The good news is, our regional hardware store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. Once you connect the propane tank, you just turn it as much as high and let it warm up for 20 minutes. Then reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at how easy the Ooni is to make use of and also just how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the great place which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a good range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and also reduced it awhile much longer at a lower temperature may be easier. Keeping that stated, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit worried concerning the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth perfect as well as keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident however hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also extremely crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we should get it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
Something that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, however apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will help it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the lp as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I believe that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the setup to be a trouble, the real preparing as well as prepping to be a little bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little storage area to keep it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.