Ife Ooni Okanbi
Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They use a easy and also quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but extremely flexible since they can get to such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my tricks, tips, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and also desired a bigger dimension so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly spark some happiness for you and make pizza night more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp tank, as well as after that when we discovered one we had to find a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might assume! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins.
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the trendy place which gives you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook as well promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that said said, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat ideal as well as keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
I think we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. I might NOT have actually been more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really slim between. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook all the means via.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it simple and top lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful but unconvinced that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within and also very crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s affordable and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we should buy it or simply try to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. But let me save you a long time as well as power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally rather basic to create – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner vow excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming as well as quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
>> Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
Something that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt chooses it, however other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. You just attach the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do say experience because I assume that cooking and making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s also very light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.