Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a quick as well as very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however very functional since they can get to such a heat as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my pointers, techniques, as well as thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might really spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza night more amazing!
Likewise, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas container and having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a gas container, and after that when we discovered one we had to locate a place to get it filled. The good news is, our local hardware shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of locations before I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool area which provides you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the heat to low as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be simpler. With that claimed, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal and also keep it moving. However, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also huge unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely thin in the center. This will offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it won’t prepare completely through.
- Do not add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it easy as well as leading gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced but hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to continue to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s affordable as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we should acquire it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One point that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it does not use up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly help it last much longer. If you do not have any type of covered space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) yet I assure you, it’s really not. You simply attach the propane as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. Because I think that cooking and also making food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot more work. I was expecting the setup to be a problem, the real prepping as well as preparing to be a bit taxing, and I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also extremely lightweight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a little storage area to maintain it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.