How To Use Ooni Wood Pizza Oven
Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a fast and simple method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but incredibly functional since they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my methods, tips, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually spark some joy for you and make pizza night more amazing!
Likewise, this is a durable, quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. I’m not certain why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and also after that as soon as we found one we had to locate a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may assume! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair mins.
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be easier. With that stated, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm just right and keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I just had not been quite prepared to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation process. I could NOT have been much more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms till it obtains large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare all the way via.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it leading and also straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced however enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we should acquire it or simply attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to prepare!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One point that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust picks it, but besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up way too much room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly help it last much longer. If you don’t have any covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just attach the gas and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. Because I believe that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping as well as cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally very lightweight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.