Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They supply a quick and also very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but incredibly functional because they can get to such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours simply a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, pointers, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly spark some joy for you and make pizza evening extra amazing!
Also, this is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas storage tank and having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas tank, and afterwards when we located one we had to discover a place to get it filled up. The good news is, our local hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel far, but I called a TON of places prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins as soon as you connect the propane tank. Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both happily amazed at how very easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the trendy area which provides you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to move the pizza around and additionally a good range between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to prepare as well quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp may be easier. With that said said, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous about the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth perfect and maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a couple pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also covering. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking procedure. I might NOT have been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I actually lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the means via.
- Do not add as well many toppings to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was doubtful however confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and also extremely crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we ought to buy it or just try to find something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Let me save you some time and energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright ideal size, includes a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise quite straightforward to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion promise too much while he was placing it with each other and also I think it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
Something that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside periodically as dust decides on it, but apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not take up excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just attach the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I think that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally extremely light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.