Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a fast as well as easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but super versatile given that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly got ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, as well as pointers – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area might actually trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane container, and also then when we found one we had to discover a area to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. When you link the lp storage tank, you just transform it approximately high as well as let it warm up for 20 mins. Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both happily stunned at just how very easy the Ooni is to use and just how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the great spot which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to move the pizza around and additionally a good range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to cook too rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be less complicated. With that claimed, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm perfect and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook all the way through.
- Don’t add too several garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident yet unconvinced that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we must acquire it or just attempt to find something else similar online, I had not been sure. Yet let me save you a long time as well as power. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute best dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally pretty basic to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear too much while he was placing it with each other and also I assume it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dirt picks it, but aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of covered area to keep it however.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You simply link the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I assume that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s also very lightweight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.