Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They offer a simple as well as quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but super functional because they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months back. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, ideas, and also techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to use gas as well as also desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location might really stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza night extra interesting!
Also, this is a durable, top quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas storage tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a gas tank, and then when we discovered one we needed to find a place to get it filled up. Fortunately, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! It was definitely simpler than I expected it to be. Once you link the gas storage tank, you simply transform it approximately high and let it heat up for 20 minutes. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both happily amazed at how simple the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the great place which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to cooking as well as low it awhile much longer at a lower temp could be less complicated. Keeping that stated, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect as well as maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and also covering. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I might NOT have been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert, I truly lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really slim in the middle. This will give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not prepare completely via.
- Don’t add also many toppings to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic yet hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or simply look for another thing comparable online. Yet let me save you time as well as power. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise quite straightforward to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion promise too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
Something that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust picks it, but besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any covered room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the gas as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I assume that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal even more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally extremely light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.