Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a easy and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but extremely versatile given that they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally obtained ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, suggestions, and techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might actually stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
This is a durable, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Finding that gas storage tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, but below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and afterwards when we located one we needed to discover a place to get it loaded. Fortunately, our local equipment store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of places before I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! It was absolutely less complicated than I expected it to be. When you attach the gas container, you simply transform it up to high and let it warm up for 20 mins. Then lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily amazed at how easy the Ooni is to use and exactly how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool place which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit anxious about the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is very very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel also. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly prevailed since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the center it won’t cook all the means via.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it simple and leading lightly. This is not the time to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant however hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we must acquire it or simply try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dust chooses it, yet apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply link the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a trouble, the real cooking as well as prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleaning process required. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a little storage area to maintain it dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.