Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick and also very easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but extremely functional given that they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally obtained ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my pointers, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally desired a bigger size so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a well-made, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, and then when we located one we had to find a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the great area which gives you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent distance between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be simpler. Keeping that stated, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth perfect and also keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a tough cooking procedure. I could NOT have been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic but doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to remain to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One point that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust picks it, however other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of protected room to save it however.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the gas and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I assume that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a hassle, the actual prepping and cooking to be a bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s also really light-weight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.