Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They provide a simple and fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet super functional given that they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally got ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my thoughts, suggestions, as well as tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as also wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area might really trigger some happiness for you and make pizza evening extra interesting!
Also, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. Locating that lp tank as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas container, and then once we found one we had to discover a area to get it filled. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of locations before I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair mins.
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the great spot which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to relocate the pizza around and also a good distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to low and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. Keeping that said, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to locate that after just a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is very simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I truly lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He suggests using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very thin in the middle. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not prepare all the method with.
- Do not add as well several garnishes to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful but unconvinced that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or simply look for another thing similar online. Yet let me conserve you time and energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright best size, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise quite straightforward to create – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner vow excessive while he was putting it with each other and also I believe it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
Something that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt decides on it, however besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not take up excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any type of covered area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You simply connect the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience since I believe that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping as well as cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and I had not been sure what the cleansing process required. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really basic, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s also extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.