Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They use a simple and fast method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however very flexible given that they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, tips, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly spark some joy for you and also make pizza evening much more amazing!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank and having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and then once we found one we had to locate a place to get it filled. Thankfully, our regional hardware store had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip much, however I called a TON of places before I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! It was definitely easier than I expected it to be. When you link the lp storage tank, you simply turn it approximately high and allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both pleasantly amazed at exactly how simple the Ooni is to make use of and how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance in between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. With that claimed, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth ideal and also keep it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I actually lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very thin in the center. This will provide you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the way via.
- Do not add also lots of garnishes to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical yet enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to acquire it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One thing that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust chooses it, however aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly help it last longer. If you do not have any type of covered space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s additionally really light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.