Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They use a very easy and quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet very versatile considering that they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, tips, and also tricks – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a durable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane tank. Finding that gas container and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp tank, and then when we located one we needed to find a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of places prior to I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might think! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes when you link the gas container. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at how very easy the Ooni is to use as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the amazing area which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and also a great distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature could be easier. Keeping that claimed, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious about the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm perfect and maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation process. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim in the middle. This will offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not prepare all the method with.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it leading and easy gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant but hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to explain just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s low-cost as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we ought to get it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Yet let me conserve you time as well as power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright perfect dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth. It was also quite simple to create – or at least I really did not hear my companion vouch too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One point that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will aid it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more work. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s also very lightweight as well as mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.