How To Cook On Ooni Pizza Oven
Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a simple and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but extremely versatile because they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, thoughts, and methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise desired a larger size to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually trigger some happiness for you and also make pizza evening more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not sure why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas tank, as well as after that as soon as we located one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! It was absolutely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and let it heat up for 20 mins when you attach the propane tank. After that lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair mins. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to make use of and how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the great area which offers you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as also a good range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to cooking as well as low it awhile longer at a lower temp may be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit anxious about the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm ideal and keep it moving. However, I was happily surprised to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking process. Using the pizza oven is incredibly simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I truly prevailed because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really thin between. This will certainly provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not prepare all the way through.
- Do not include as well numerous toppings to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident yet cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to remain to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s affordable and chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we must buy it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
>> Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One point that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) however I assure you, it’s actually not. You just connect the lp and allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. Because I think that cooking and also making food truly can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more work. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.