How To Control Ooni Temperature
Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however incredibly versatile considering that they can reach such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my thoughts, suggestions, as well as techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and also wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually stimulate some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a well-made, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not certain why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, and also after that once we found one we had to find a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might assume! It was definitely easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins when you connect the gas tank. Then reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly amazed at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of and also how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome spot which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a good distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. Keeping that stated, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious about the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat just right as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping and also covering. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is super easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel also. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I truly lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely thin in the middle. This will provide you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick between it will not cook completely with.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it simple as well as leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced however enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we need to purchase it or simply try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels too. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best offer.
Something that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust settles on it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not occupy way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will certainly assist it last longer. If you do not have any protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a lot of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the lp and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely doable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that preparing as well as making food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly simple, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.