Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They use a simple as well as fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but very flexible given that they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally obtained ours just a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my tricks, ideas, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may truly trigger some joy for you and make pizza evening extra exciting!
This is a well-made, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane storage tank as well as having it filled may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas storage tank, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a place to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, yet I called a TON of areas before I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 minutes when you attach the propane tank. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the amazing area which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a good range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. With that said stated, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried concerning the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to get the warmth just right and also maintain it moving. I was happily stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and topping. But truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a hard food preparation procedure. I could NOT have actually been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms till it gets large enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin in the center. This will certainly give you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook all the method with.
- Do not add as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident but cynical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we must acquire it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable as well as pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One point that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dirt decides on it, but other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not use up way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will help it last longer. If you do not have any covered area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the propane as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I believe that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s additionally very light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little storage space to keep it dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.