Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a simple and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however very flexible given that they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my methods, thoughts, and pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as also desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may truly stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas storage tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane tank, and after that once we found one we had to find a place to get it filled. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, yet I called a TON of locations before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might assume! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple minutes.
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the trendy place which gives you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good distance in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. With that stated, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the heat ideal and also keep it moving. I was happily surprised to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel too. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I actually lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it won’t cook completely via.
- Do not add too numerous garnishes to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful yet confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as incredibly crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we should buy it or just try to find something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Yet let me save you a long time and also power. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also rather basic to create – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner vouch excessive while he was putting it with each other and I assume it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels also. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s super useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best deal.
Something that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dirt picks it, yet besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t take up too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. Since I think that making and cooking food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a hassle, the real prepping as well as cooking to be a bit taxing, and I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise very lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.