Gas Ooni Pizza Oven
Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a easy as well as fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet incredibly flexible because they can reach such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately got ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my pointers, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and likewise wanted a larger size so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may truly spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza night extra exciting!
This is a durable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, and also then as soon as we located one we had to discover a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! It was certainly easier than I expected it to be. You just transform it up to high and let it warm up for 20 minutes once you attach the propane container. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion and I were both happily surprised at how easy the Ooni is to use as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome spot which gives you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to reduced and cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp may be easier. With that stated, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to get the heat ideal and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also covering. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking process. I can NOT have actually been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is super simple and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will certainly give you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include way too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it leading as well as simple gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical however confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One thing that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust chooses it, but aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the propane and allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I believe that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise extremely lightweight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a bit of storage room to keep it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.