Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a fast and also very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet extremely functional given that they can get to such a heat and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately obtained ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my methods, pointers, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may truly stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza night extra interesting!
This is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp container, and after that once we found one we had to find a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! It was most definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high and allow it heat up for 20 mins as soon as you attach the propane container. Then lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at exactly how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also exactly how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing spot which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great distance between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to low and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. With that claimed, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat perfect as well as maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to find that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. But truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I can NOT have been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include as well many garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced yet enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s affordable and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply try to find another thing similar online. Let me conserve you some time as well as energy. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also rather simple to create – or at least I didn’t hear my companion vouch way too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I think it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s very practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt settles on it, yet besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will help it last much longer. If you do not have any protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply attach the lp and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it delivers. Because I think that preparing and making food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s additionally very lightweight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.