Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and also very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however incredibly versatile considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, suggestions, and tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to make use of gas and also desired a larger size so that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp tank and also having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and then once we found one we had to find a place to get it filled. Fortunately, our regional equipment store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of areas before I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may assume! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome area which gives you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the heat to low as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature could be easier. Keeping that said, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried about the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat ideal and maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to master it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking process. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel also. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually prevailed because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He suggests using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim in the middle. This will provide you that trademark timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the way with.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it basic and also leading gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident yet unconvinced that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to describe how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we must buy it or just attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One thing that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt chooses it, yet besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not occupy too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. If you do not have any covered room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. You simply attach the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I believe that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise really lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.