Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They offer a fast and simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but super functional since they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my ideas, suggestions, and also techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night extra amazing!
Likewise, this is a durable, top quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container. Locating that propane storage tank as well as having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane storage tank, and afterwards when we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our regional hardware store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of places prior to I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might believe! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just transform it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 minutes once you attach the lp container. Then lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion and I were both happily stunned at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and also just how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing area which provides you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to cooking and low it awhile much longer at a lower temp could be much easier. Keeping that claimed, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warm ideal and maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel as well. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I actually lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re seeking. , if the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook all the method with.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it basic and leading gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic however doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we must get it or just attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute as well as pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no need to disinfect the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, however apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not occupy excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last much longer. If you do not have any type of covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply link the propane and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do say experience because I assume that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a inconvenience, the real prepping and cooking to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing process entailed. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather simple. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.