Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a fast and also very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet super versatile since they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, tricks, and also suggestions – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas as well as likewise desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually spark some delight for you and also make pizza evening much more interesting!
Also, this is a well-made, top quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp container, and also after that as soon as we discovered one we had to find a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to cook also promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that stated, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth just right and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as covering. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a tough cooking process. I could NOT have been more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will certainly give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare all the way via.
- Do not include also several garnishes to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to continue to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s economical as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we need to purchase it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One thing that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every so often as dirt picks it, yet other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t occupy too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any covered area to keep it though.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply link the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that preparing as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more work. I was expecting the setup to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping and preparing to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little storage space to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.