Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and simple way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but extremely flexible considering that they can reach such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, methods, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of being able to use gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might really stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza evening more exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. Tracking down that gas container and also having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, and then once we discovered one we had to discover a place to get it filled up. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, but I called a TON of places before I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! It was most definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. When you attach the propane container, you simply transform it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Then reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner as well as I were both happily shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the great area which provides you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to low and cooking it awhile much longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. With that said claimed, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warm just right and keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to master it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is very simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will certainly give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it simple and also top lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident however skeptical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we need to purchase it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and also pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One point that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt decides on it, however apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t use up too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any kind of protected space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the gas as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience because I believe that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise very light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.