Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a quick and also easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however incredibly versatile considering that they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly obtained ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, techniques, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as also desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually spark some pleasure for you and make pizza night a lot more exciting!
This is a durable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. Tracking down that propane container and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, and afterwards as soon as we found one we had to find a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our local hardware shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, however I called a TON of places prior to I can even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might assume! It was certainly easier than I expected it to be. You just transform it up to high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins once you attach the propane storage tank. After that reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My companion and also I were both happily surprised at how easy the Ooni is to utilize and how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which offers you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as also a good distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to cooking as well as low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature could be much easier. Keeping that said, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth perfect and also keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is super simple and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I really lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms till it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely thin in the middle. This will offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare all the way via.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it straightforward and also top gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident yet cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or simply try to find something else comparable online. However let me conserve you time and energy. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright best size, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was additionally rather easy to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner promise way too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s extremely useful in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
>> Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, however often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best offer.
Something that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dust chooses it, but aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the actual preparing and prepping to be a bit taxing, and I had not been sure what the cleansing process required. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather simple. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.