Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a easy and also quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet incredibly versatile given that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately obtained ours just a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my pointers, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior location may really trigger some joy for you as well as make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not sure why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, as well as after that as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high and also let it heat up for 20 mins when you link the propane storage tank. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of and exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the amazing spot which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of room to move the pizza around and likewise a good distance between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to cooking and reduced it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature might be easier. With that said stated, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit anxious concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the heat just right and maintain it moving. However, I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I might NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is very simple as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it gets large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin between. This will provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick between it will not prepare all the way with.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it leading and also simple gently. This is not the time to make your trademark added added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident however skeptical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. If we should purchase it or just attempt to locate something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. Yet let me save you a long time and also power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright perfect dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was also quite basic to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vouch excessive while he was putting it with each other and also I believe it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
Something that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt chooses it, however aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not take up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any covered area to keep it though.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You just connect the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. Since I think that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally very lightweight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside area, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.