Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a simple as well as quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however extremely flexible since they can reach such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly got ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my pointers, techniques, and ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and likewise desired a bigger dimension so that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside area might really trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a place to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. Once you link the propane tank, you simply turn it as much as high as well as let it warm up for 20 mins. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly stunned at how easy the Ooni is to make use of and also just how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy place which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great range between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to cooking and reduced it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. With that claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat ideal and maintain it relocating. I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually prevailed because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really thin in the middle. This will certainly give you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the means with.
- Do not include as well numerous toppings to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical but hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we must purchase it or just try to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. But let me conserve you time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright best size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was also rather basic to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vouch excessive while he was placing it with each other and I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best offer.
One point that truly tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dust decides on it, however aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t use up way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the gas and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I assume that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise really light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.