First Time Using Ooni Pizza Oven
Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a easy and fast way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however very flexible considering that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally obtained ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my tips, thoughts, as well as techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas and additionally desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area might really stimulate some joy for you as well as make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a durable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas storage tank and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, and after that once we discovered one we had to locate a place to get it loaded. The good news is, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of locations before I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to cook too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. Keeping that stated, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried concerning the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it straightforward and leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident yet hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to define how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just try to find something else similar online. However let me conserve you time and energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect size, includes a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was also quite easy to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner vouch excessive while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
>> Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One thing that truly lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior periodically as dust decides on it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will help it last much longer. If you don’t have any covered room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. Since I believe that making and also preparing food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more job. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally really light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.