Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a very easy and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but very flexible because they can reach such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly obtained ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my ideas, methods, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might truly spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening extra exciting!
This is a well-made, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp container. I’m not certain why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, and then when we located one we had to discover a area to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might believe! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. When you connect the gas tank, you simply turn it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 minutes. After that lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and also I were both happily amazed at how easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as just how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing place which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to cooking and also low it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warm just right as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it top as well as simple gently. This is not the time to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic however cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as very crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to remain to explain how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we must purchase it or simply try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable as well as pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One point that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, however apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. You just attach the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I assume that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s also extremely light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.