Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite prominent and it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast as well as simple way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but incredibly flexible since they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, methods, and pointers – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as also desired a larger dimension so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may really spark some joy for you and make pizza evening more amazing!
Likewise, this is a durable, high quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas container as well as having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel far, however I called a TON of places prior to I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing place which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to move the pizza around and additionally a good range between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. With that said stated, our preferred cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth ideal as well as keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult food preparation process. I might NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I really lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the center. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook all the way via.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it top as well as easy gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic however unconvinced that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we ought to purchase it or just try to locate something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. Yet let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the outright excellent size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth. It was also pretty straightforward to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my companion swear way too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels also. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust settles on it, however aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a lot of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just link the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the actual cooking as well as prepping to be a little bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process involved. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s likewise very light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a bit of storage space to maintain it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.