Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They use a simple and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however very versatile because they can get to such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly obtained ours just a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, thoughts, and also techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your demands and spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank and having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a gas tank, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a location to get it filled. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip much, but I called a TON of areas before I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair minutes.
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the great spot which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as also a great range between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp may be much easier. With that stated, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat just right as well as keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also covering. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a challenging cooking procedure. I might NOT have been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He recommends using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really slim between. This will certainly give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook completely with.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more means to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it top as well as straightforward gently. This is not the time to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced yet enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to define just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s affordable as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we need to purchase it or just attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
One thing that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt picks it, however aside from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any covered space to keep it however.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that making and preparing food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a trouble, the actual prepping as well as preparing to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure involved. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.