Do You Need To Season Ooni Pizza Oven
Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick as well as very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet very versatile because they can reach such a heat and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my suggestions, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and also wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza evening extra exciting!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Finding that propane tank and having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a gas storage tank, and then when we found one we had to discover a location to get it filled. Thankfully, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel far, but I called a TON of areas before I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple mins.
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the cool area which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to move the pizza around and also a great range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature could be easier. With that said, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit anxious regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm just right and keep it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also topping. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. I might NOT have been much more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is very very easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add also several toppings to your pizza. Another means to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful but enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we should buy it or just look for something else similar online. Let me conserve you some time and also energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather basic to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner promise too much while he was putting it with each other and I think it was carried out in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One thing that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every now and then as dirt picks it, but other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the gas and allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more work. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally very light-weight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.