Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a quick and simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however extremely functional given that they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, thoughts, and methods – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas and additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza night much more amazing!
Additionally, this is a durable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp container, and then once we located one we had to find a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair minutes.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing spot which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to low and cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp might be much easier. Keeping that stated, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth ideal and maintain it relocating. However, I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very slim between. This will give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the center it won’t cook all the method with.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic but hesitant that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those completely charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and super crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to continue to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we need to get it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super practical in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
One point that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to decontaminate or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt chooses it, but aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not use up excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rainfall will help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of covered area to store it however.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the gas and also let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely doable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little storage space to keep it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.